Annual Report 2022-23
ANNUAL REPORT 2022-23
Good morning everyone.
Our beloved Director Prof. Mathew C Ninan, distinguished Chief Guest Sr Melissa, Managing Trustee of Priority One India Dr Roy Philip, Deputy Director Mrs Lali Abraham Mathew, Trustees, School Managing committee members, invitees, parents, members of the faculty and staff and dear students.
I consider it a great privilege to present the Annual Report of Little Rock Indian School for the Academic Year 2022-‘23. This year has also been very fruitful. After two years of irregularities caused by the Pandemic, we could begin our academic year in the first week of June itself. Hitherto it has been fine and our Calendar moves on as planned.
Little Rock Indian School has successfully completed its journey into excellence for 41 years. By the grace of the Almighty and the blessings of our predecessors, I am happy to state that we are progressing in consonance with time. We have been able to translate our vision and mission into action. Our atmosphere is conducive for the intellectual, physical and mental growth of our students. Our teachers take special care of each of our children and we reaffirm the sobriquet School is for Children.
Before I begin to unfold the legacy of Little Rock, let us bow our heads in reverence and gratitude to our beloved founders Late Dr C T Abraham and Late Mrs Alice Abraham. Let us remember these great souls with gratitude for providing us with such a great institution. Let us sincerely vow to spread the fragrance of universal love and brotherhood that our founders upheld in their lives.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Our Director, Prof. Mathew C. Ninan was bestowed Life-Time Achievement by the Abhijnya Wizdom Education group, Mangalore. This award for outstanding individuals in the field of education was presented to our Director on this year’s Teacher’s Day.
The Intelligent Minds Trust Awards: IMT is a Non-Profit Trust committed to reinforce quality education for school children. To evaluate school education, the people involved in the sphere of education should also be strengthened professionally. With a view to accomplishing this objective, IMT works with the motto: “Vision with Mission”. One such move is to vitalize the academicians by recognising their contributions in the realms of the school education.
This year, IMT in collaboration with the Government of Mauritius organised its educational excellence award ceremony in Mauritius; Little Rock was selected for four awards in different categories:
Director Prof. Mathew C. Ninan – Educationist of the Year
Deputy Director Mrs Lali Abraham Mathew –Excellent Innovator
Mrs Julie Esther Lewis, Vice Principal- Teacher Empowerment
Mrs Shaila Michael Furtado, Head Teacher- Women Empowerment.
Our team led by the Director received the awards in Mauritius in the first week of October from the President of Mauritius.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation’s (EPFO) Certificate of Appreciation: as part of the 70th Foundation Day Celebrations, we are recognised for the best performance and practices by EPFO. Our Director received the Certificate and Award in a solemn function in Udupi on 2nd November 2022.
Education World Ranking: Education World is a leading publication on education in India. Every year the magazine conducts surveys and the schools are ranked under various categories. This prestigious award is titled ISRA (Indian School Ranking Award). According to their latest survey we are ranked first in Udupi and fourth in Karnataka under Day-Cum-Boarding Schools category this year too.
STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF
We have 3830 students on roll now, of which 1879 are girls and 1951 are boys. We have 164 dedicated teachers and as many as 96 non-teaching staff. We maintain a teacher-student ratio of 1:23, which ensures that every child is personally attended and taken care of by the teachers.
We presented the 30th batch of Class X students and the 28th batch of Class XII in March 2022. I am proud to announce that as always, this year too we have 100% pass in both the sessions. I take this opportunity to congratulate our students, teachers and parents on this spectacular achievement.
Let me give you the details of the results of the 2022 Board exams.
Students appeared: 259 Passed: 259
95% and above : 34 students
Distinction : 176 students
90% to 94.9% : 63 students
First Class : 79 students
80 to 89.9% : 79 students
Second Class :04 students
70 to 79.9% : 57 students
60 to 69.9% : 22 students
55 to 59.9% : 02 students
50 to 54.9% : 02 students
Srivani Karanth scored the highest percentage of 98.4%.
33 Students scored A1 in all Subjects at AISSE 2022
- Abhista Balakrishna
- Aditya Shenoy B
- Ananya M Naik
- Ananya Pai K
- Ashwini D Nayak
- Disha Nagaraj
- Elita Maria Pereira
- Fiona Melissa Pinto
- Gautami Vittala Naik
- Harshith Kamath
- Jenna Ann Sonali Sreshta Shetty
- Khushi Madhav Mendan
- Kirsten Wilfred Coelho
- Mohammed Rehan Saleem
- Nihal B M
- Nikhil S Bhat
- Nilan Shetty
- Prahlad S Hegde
- Prajnan P Shetty
- Pranshu Prabhu
- Prapti Belekeri
- Riya Dixit
- Roshni M P
- Sharanya S Rao
- Shashidhar Melanta U
- Shivarishika K
- Srivani Karanth
- Srujan M P
- Sudhiksha Shanbhag
- Sumedh Krishna K M
- Supriya Vijay
- Tanisha Suhas Rao
- Trisha Balachandra
Students appeared: 92 Passed: 92
95% and above : 07 students
Distinction : 60 students
90 to 94.9% : 14 students
First Class : 31 students
80 to 89.9% : 39 students
Second Class : 01 student
70 to 79.9% : 26 students
60 to 69.9% : 05 students
55 to 59.9% : 01 student
Rakshith G Maiya scored the highest percentage of 99.2% in Biology and Dharuni R Acharya scored the highest percentage of 97.2% a in Computer Science at AISSCE.
6 students have scored A1 in all the subjects at AISSCE 2022
ASHMI GEORGE MATHEW
- ASHWIN SHETTY
- DHARUNI R ACHARYA
- RAKSHITH G MAIYA
- SHAUN VIVEK KARKADA
- SHRIYA BHAT
We started our Academic Year with a Faculty Enrichment Programme by Prof. Sunney Tharappan on 26th and 27th May 2022.
A glimpse of the major events so far is listed below:
- Our Director Prof. Mathew C. Ninan conducted an Orientation Programme for the teachers of Little Rock on 30th
- On 30th May Prof. Mathew C. Ninan conducted an awareness programme for the drivers and conductors.
- Our Head Teacher Mrs Sapna and teacher Mrs Madhumita Ansingkar visited Japan in the second week of July. The objective of the visit was to know about the Japanese education system, technology advancement in the field of education and study of Japanese culture.
- Our teachers, Mr James P A and Mr Santhosh Kumar visited Singapore in the last week of November. They visited several schools in Singapore to learn about the best practices and education system of the country.
- Founder’s Day was celebrated in all the Sections. Mr George Joseph, Dr Koshy Abraham, Mr Shaji Mathew Chacko and Prof. Johnson Jacob addressed the gathering in different Sections.
- We observed Yoga Day on 21st June with a lot of students exhibiting their talents in yoga.
- Our Occupational Therapist Mrs Swetha Nayak conducted a workshop for teachers of Classes I-IV on 16th
- Sunney Tharappan had a day long intellectual intervention with our Classes XI & XII students on 21st July.
- Independence Day was celebrated with Dr Y. Ravindranath Rao being the Chief Guest.
- A special Teacher’s Day programme was organised for the faculty of the campus institutions. Dr Ramnarayan delivered a very meaningful and befitting message on the occasion.
- A CBSE sponsored programme titled Sensitisation Programme on Financial Literacy was conducted in our School for the Heb of Leaning member Schools.
- Dr Rakesh Adiga of Mahesh Hospital, Brahmavar conducted an awareness programmes for our students on “hand, foot and mouth disease” under the title Infection Control beyond Hospital.
- Kannada Rajyostava was colourfully celebrated on 31st October. Dr Mahabaleswara Rao addressed the gathering.
Our Birthday Fund is a source of blessing to many people. It is our humble effort to mitigate the suffering of less fortunate fellow human beings through this fund. This year we have already given away 9,01,086/-. Our beneficiaries include: Capuchin Krishik Seva Kendra, Manasa Jyothi Trust (R), Kundapur, Liza’s Home, Bangalore, Kidney Federation of India, Kerala, Indian Mouth Foot Painting Artists, Mumbai, etc. The complete list of beneficiaries is given at the end of this Year Book. We also make sure that the amount given from Birthday Fund reaches the right hands. The ultimate intention of such a practice is to make our children understand the joy of giving and the values of compassion and charity.
We also give free uniforms to children of three neighbouring Schools. This year also we have provided school uniforms to around 238 children costing Rs. 1,25,935/-.
We have four libraries, with a combined floor area of 8770 sq. ft., perhaps one of the largest school libraries in the country. The four libraries have a combined stock of 47,427 books costing around Rs 64, 69,887/-. This year we added 241 books costing Rs 49,767/-. We subscribe to multiple copies of all major newspapers, magazines and journals. Libraries are an ever-inspiring place for the students and teachers of our School. Our alumni who are spread around the globe testify time and again the role our libraries have played in shaping their career and future.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND CONCESSIONS 2022-23
Responding to our social conscience, we have been offering scholarships and fee concessions to our students from financially handicapped families and to the children of our staff. This year’s details of such scholarships and concessions are as follows:
Fee Concessions continued to 31 students: 11,48,392/- (50% fee waiver in most cases & 100% waiver a few)
Fee Concessions to children of lower income category staff of the campus institutions: (43 students) 15,98,610/-
Waiver of Vehicle Maintenance Contribution and Food charges to the children of faculty and staff: (88 students) 14,45,650/-
Endowed scholarships: Total endowed Sum: Rs 29,89,407/-
Interest at 6.5% p.a. to be given away as scholarships:1,94,311/-
Total outlay during this academic year: 43,86,963/-
The following new endowment has been initiated this year:
The Dr T Thomas Memorial Endowment – Rs. 50,000/-
CURRENT YEAR’S INVESTMENTS
This year too, like the previous year’s our major investment was on adding buses to our fleet. The list below shows our major investments:
11 New Buses – 4,03,33,249.00
Computer Purchase 53,31,184.00
Campus Road asphalting and new Parking ground 63,52,704.00
New Basketball Court 12,82,598.00
Purchase of Auto rickshaw 2,11,836.00
Construction of Compound Wall 24,75,590.00
Purchase of Furniture 1,47,972.00
Total – 5,61,35,133.00
Parent -Teacher Interface
We had our parent-teacher interaction during June and July in three sessions. This year especially after the gap of two years majority of the parents attended the meeting. As usual, we had three experts to address each gathering. Dr. P.V Bhandary addressed parents of Classes I to IV students, Dr. Elizabeth Daniel, addressed parents of Classes V to VIII students, and Dr Ali Khwaja addressed parents of Classes IX to XII students.
As many as 2760 parents attended the three parents’ meetings. This is a very encouraging development. Let me appeal to the parents to maintain the same spirit in the years to come. Your participation in school activities send out a positive signal to children.
Some of the Notable Achievements of the Year
- Our Classes XI & XII students are the Overall Champions of CHEMERGENCE – “Uniting Young Chemists” a Chemistry based competition held at St. Aloysius College, Mangalore.
- Anvitha Kodavoor of Class XI A won the Third Place in Long Jump in the Karnataka State Athletic Championship – 2022 held at Bangalore and was selected for the National Level Championship held at Madhya Pradesh.
- Trisha M S of Class XI A won the second Runners up in Miss Teen Karnataka contest organized by NB Model Management on 3rd July, 2022 held at Bangalore. She also won the title ‘Face of Karnataka’.
- Pearl Andrea D’Souza and Evans K Manoj of XI A won the First and Third places respectively in the Debate Competition conducted by Udupi Postal Division as part of Vigilance Awareness Week.
- Our students won several prizes in EXPRESSIONS -A Literary and Cultural competition held at KMC, Manipal .
- Janki D V – X F was awarded Naatiya Mayuri in the Sixth International Nrithyanjali Festival held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She was also the national winner at the SIFF Young Artiste Festival 2020-21. In recognition of her outstanding performance in the Grand Finale, she has been certified as a Level 7 Young Artiste (Highly Advanced). She also was awarded the Young Artiste of the Year title in the Dance Category at the same festival.
- Jethra Maiya – IX D is recognized as an impactful achiever listed in the Roll of Honour – Year 2022, by White Canvas Education Council, White Canvas India.
- Arnika Varsha D’Souza – X A secured the third place in the 800 metres – Girls Under 17 category, conducted by the Karnataka Junior and Senior State level Championship 2022-23 in August 2022.
- Jahnavi V – X A secured the third place in the Pick & Speak Competition held by Dept. of Post – Udupi Division, in relation to Vigilance Awareness Week.
- Srujan Naveen Yapalaparvi of Class IV B and Aadyanth Hegde of Class IV G emerged as the winners in the Junior category of the 21st edition of The Hindu Young World Quiz Competition held in Mangalore on February 16, 2023.
- Neha S Bhat of Class VI A became the winner of the Rotary Spelling Bee Competition which was conducted by the Rotary Club of Bangalore.
AICS (Association of ICSE and CBSE Schools) Competitions:
- Lakshmi G Prabhu and Shamantha Shastri K of Class XII C won the First Place in the Literary and Grammar Quiz conducted by AICS at Don Bosco English Medium School, Shirva.
- Our students won several prizes in Cultural Competition for Senior Secondary Schools conducted by AICS at the Prestige International School, Mangalore
- Krish Pandey & Abhiram N Udupa of XII C and Mohammed Shiyad of XI C won the First Prize in Prototype Challenge Contest conducted in Madhava Kripa School Manipal for Senior Secondary students.
- Our under14 Boys are the winners and U 17 Boys are the Runners up of AICS Table Tennis Tournament which was held in our School.
- We are the Winners of Girls Under 14 category of Badminton Tournament held at Shri Siddivinayaka Residential School .
- Arnika Varsha D’Souza of Class X won the First place in Under 17 category Cross Country Race held at Prestige International School.
- We are the Winners of Under 17 Boys category Handball Tournament held at SMS English Medium School.
- We are the Winners of Under 14 girls and Runners up of Under 17 girls category of Volleyball Tournament held at Trinity Central School.
- Our Girls are the Runners up of Basketball Tournament for Senior Secondary Schools held in our School.
- We are the Overall Champions and Arnika Varsha Dsouza of Class X A is the individual champion of the Athletic meet held in Dr NSAM English Medium School, Nitte.
- Our Junior Boys are the Champions of Udupi District Junior Boys Handball Championship conducted by Udupi Handball Association.
Dr Athish B Shetty has achieved a rare feat of securing the First Rank (All India) in National Eligibility cum Entrance Test-Super Speciality (NEET-SS, Surgery) conducted by the National Board of Examination in Medical Sciences held in September, 2022.
Athish studied in Little Rock Indian School from Class IV-XII that is from 2004-2013. He had also secured the 13th Rank in KCET in 2013 and completed his MBBS from KMC, Manipal. Further he completed MS in General Surgery from Bengaluru Medical College and Research Institute (BMCRI), Bengaluru.
Athish is the elder son of Surgeon Dr Balakrishna Shetty of Chinmayi Hospital, Kundapur and Sunita Shetty and brother of Dr Nithis B Shetty, another alumnus of LRIS.
Ladies and gentlemen, before I conclude the report I humbly acknowledge the encouragement and positive energy that is given by everyone here. I take this opportunity to thank the School Managing Committee, especially the Director Prof. Mathew C. Ninan and the Deputy Director Mrs Lali Abraham Mathew. I also extend my gratitude to the Vice Principals, Head Teachers, Faculty, Staff, Students, Parents, Benefactors and Resource Persons for striving earnestly in taking Little Rock to greater heights.
I sincerely thank the Almighty for giving me yet another opportunity to present the Annual Report of this prestigious school. Thank you everyone, from the depth of my heart.
03.04.2023 Dr John Thomas (Principal)